Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Week #4: Keeping it Real

This past weekend, while doing some shopping in Richmond, I found a cute little book at Francesca's Collections that detailed personalities by birth date. I know these things are entirely just for fun but it was cool to see if they were even the least bit accurate. Here's mine:


In our Social Media class, we are discussing how letting your personality shine through can help you achieve success online. I believe this is also key in offline interactions. I must admit that this is something I struggle with. 

In January 2008, I had the opportunity to study International PR in London. Our first class was held at Porter Novelli and was lead by the firm's Principal at the time. We were asked to pitch an idea for student funding and present it to our class. She then critiqued each person's group and their presentation styles. The #1 piece of advice she had was to "have fun and be yourself." She explained that when people, particularly students are asked to give presentations, there is a tendency for them to become tense and let their nerves dominate them. They got hung up on delivering a "perfect pitch" and lose their innocence and personality. I try to remember her advice in my professional interactions, online and offline, but acting on it can be a challenge.
In Scott Rosenberg's Say Everything, a piece of advice from veteran bloggers is "Be real!" Rosenberg says "To blog, they say, is to present the truth about your life of the world as you see it." I think that's the beauty in blogging, the fact that you can essentially make it your own. True to my personality description (above), I am careful, exacting and capable in the handling of details but can also drive myself nuts by sometimes getting hung up on the small stuff. 

Just like Heather Armstrong in Say Everything, I too was excited knowing I could choose the design for my blog, the name and the content without having to meet a "client's" demands. I was my own client. My persona won't be blatantly displayed through my blog but I do feel that readers will see a glimpse of who I am through my blogging topics. It's kind of like when a friend says "I saw this top at the store and it is so you" or "You would love this song. Reminds me of something you would listen to!" Remember in the movie Blind Side when Sean described Michael as "an onion, you have to peel him back one layer at a time?" Well, I think this is the case with me. For example, I have found that I write differently than I speak and have been cautious about my entries, knowing they are visible to the world. Just like the onion metaphor, I think I'll become more comfortable with being myself as my blog progresses and won't be afraid to just keep it real.

1 comment:

  1. The best and most intresting blogs are those that show the personality of the writer. Kudos to you for venturing out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete