Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Response Post #1: My Lucky Charm

On Jenna Gilson's blog My Grey Obsession, she talks about her many adventures with her furry friend Janie. In her previous post, she tells us about Greytalk, a prime information source for Greyhound owners. In addition to being a great companion, Greyhounds also happen to be couch potatoes! I couldn't help but write about my furry obsession, my 6 year old Pekingese Ching Ching. Pekingese are known to be proud, confident and over protective. But, there is also one interesting characteristic that makes him even more lovable... he brings me luck. Let me explain.

You can call me gullible but when it comes to lucky charms, I'm all over it. I have collected them over the years, whether it's the Hamsa or Evil Eye, elephants, four leaf clovers or horseshoes. But even with my growing collection, I have found that my luckiest charm happens to be Ching. 


Ching was given to my aunt when he was a year old by a family friend. She, having the same obsession with good luck charms willingly accepted him as her own. Though he was in a nice home, my aunt was a very busy person, especially being a nurse.  My family often took turns watching over him but he lacked having a consistent caretaker and the constant attention that he so deserved. I only saw Ching when I visited my aunt or at family parties and while I thought he was adorable, he also seemed withdrawn.
We celebrated Easter '09 at my aunts. I had been wanting to get a dog ever since I had my own place, so I asked if I could take Ching for a week as a "trial." Though he had literally peed on every inch of the apartment and tried to bite my boyfriend on numerous occasions, I couldn't imagine giving him back to my aunt. She let me keep him and the rest is history. 


The Pekingese were the favored pet of the Chinese Royalty and were often referred to as the "Lion Dog." They were said to bring good fortune to their owners. Since Steven and I have had him, we've had a series of milestones-- graduation, landing great jobs, travels and my admittance into Georgetown and while I'd like to think that hard work has certainly granted these opportunities, I can't help but think that our little furry friend has played a big part. Did I forget to mention that my aunt won a Fantasy Football poll the first day she got him? Lol. Over the year and a half that we've had him, he has turned into a lovable, comical and very protective pup. Not to mention, an excellent cuddler. My friends make fun of me because I've spoiled him rotten but with the luck he's brought me and that cute pudgy face, could you blame me? 

5 comments:

  1. that is the most adorable lucky charm i have ever seen haha aww

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the perfect description of our little man. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable!!! Makes me wanna get one. :) I got your link from I am Style-ish. Keep it up! xx

    Renee
    www.sugarstoned.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! He is really something :) I peeped your blog and loved it! I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete