Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Response Post #4: Sick Days

I could definitely relate to Danielle Benjamin's blog post on sick days. She poses the question "Sick days- love 'em or hate 'em?" and brings up a good point: Are sick days truly used for recovery or a way to catch up on the miscellaneous things we've been putting off or just haven't had time to get to? I would honestly prefer to save these days for out of town vacations or when I have solid plans. 

I mentioned in a previous post that I've been trying to master the "art of doing nothing." While I think this is necessary to maintain one's wellbeing and let's face it- sanity, it is difficult for me to do. A couple weeks ago, I was debating on whether or not to take a couple days off before starting my new job. I questioned if I needed only a couple days or a full week. As much as a full week would have excited me back in high school or even as an undergrad, for some reason, I couldn't imagine not working for that long. Even though I knew finals were approaching and could use the time to catch up on schoolwork and to "relax," I opted for only a couple days off. It's nice to do nothing but I feel my best when I'm on the go. This reminded me of the time when I was told to go home and "recover" when fighting an awful cold. I guess the meds weren't working and I found myself wide awake, bored out of my mind, trying to find something good on TV. After only a day, I was eager to get back to work.

In her post, Danielle says "Lazy days don’t frequent my life very often because I’ve just got too much on my plate for that. So I think in the back of my mind, I’m always secretly hoping that I’ll feel better right away so that I can go do laundry or run an errand or clean my room… something productive!"

That's exactly how I am. Kind of weird. Maybe it's part of growing up? I still want to be able to master "the art of doing nothing" but on most days I find myself being more like "I'll sleep when I'm dead." I guess for now, I'll settle for being in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment