Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Week #12: Confessions of a Restaurant Junkie

I've always had an appreciation for good food. Growing up in a Filipino home, I was always used to having elaborate dinners full of traditional dishes such as adobo (stew made with pork or chicken), lechon (a roasted full pig), lumpia (vegetable or meat eggrolls) and pancit (noodle dish). Meals were always served with white rice whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner. My diet has changed a bit since living with my family but luckily, they live nearby so I still have access to this delicious food (since I am still trying to perfect these recipes!)

As I mentioned in a previous post, it would be wise to plan your meals for the week to avoid overspending at restaurants. I have tried to be a little more strategic, for example, making two dishes on Sunday and eating that for dinner throughout the week or buying a bulk of greens and making my own salads for lunch. Along with this strategy comes the best part, eating out on the weekend! This can be a dangerous habit but it just gives you more incentive to hit the gym the next day.

My favorite food has always been sushi but I tend to stick to my favorite place, Sushi Jin, just because I'd rather not waste money trying to find a place to top it! A couple months ago, I went through an Italian phase especially after eating at Acqua al 2 in Capitol Hill. Lately, I've been in a French phase and have been dying to go back to Lyon Hall in Clarendon. My friend Samantha and I tried it a few weeks ago and the food was absolutely delicious. I ordered the Diver Scallops (see below) with saffron couscous, fennel, lemon puree and Taggiasca Olives. Absolutely to die for!



Back to my notion of things being exciting when you can spread the word, Shirky says not only do we consume media but we also like to produce it ("Look at what I made!") and share it ("Look at what I found!"). I decided to create a "Food Diaries" album on my Facebook page. I'll be adding it to the Gold Rushed Facebook page soon, in hopes of attracting fellow foodies. Similar to the concept of "homophily," which Shirky also discusses, if I am able to engage my friends (who share the same interests and love to eat), I will have a better chance of engaging their friends as well. "Like with like."

Here are a couple pictures I have added so far:

Diver Scallops- Lyon Hall, Clarendon 

Grilled Branzino- Ozzie's, Fairfax


Hot Stone Bowl- Hama Sushi, Herndon 

Slow Roasted Prime Rib Queen Cut- Boxwoods at the Mason Inn 


Fellow foodies, what are your recommendations for good restaurants? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment